DIY Pest Control - Mice01 January 2016
Today we teach you how to rid your household of Mice...
Signs you have a rodent problem
Rats (and mice) are most active during the night therefore it is often easier to spot the signs of a rat infestation than the actual animal.
- Droppings – rat droppings are dark brown, about 12mm long and often tapered at one end, Mice droppings are about half the size and thinner.
- You may find dirty marks where grease and dirt on their bodies has left dirty black marks along well travelled routes.
- Rats are agile climbers and often found in lofts so you might hear scratching noises at night.
- Rats dig extensive burrow systems for shelter, food storage and nesting, so look out for holes.
- Rats will shred whatever material is available to them such as loft insulation, cardboard and other soft items to make nests.
- Rodents need to gnaw continuously to keep their incisor teeth short, so watch out for teeth marks.
If you have heard scratching noises or spotted any of the signs above, you could potentially have a rodent infestation. It’s important to act quickly to make sure any potential infestation doesn’t spread any further.
Keep rodents away
Preventing the problems rodents cause can be easier than trying to control an infestation. Here are few simple steps that could save you from the problems rodents can cause:
- Rodents will be attracted to your property if they can detect potential food sources.
- Don’t throw scraps of food outside.
- Fewer waste bin collections are increasing the likelihood of more rats. Make sure that all food waste is securely wrapped and stored in the appropriate bin at all times.
- Repair any small holes in brickwork and holes in outside walls, floorboards or skirting boards.
- Tidy up cupboards and remove any potential nesting material.
Rat control for businesses
It’s not just homeowners that can face rodent problems at this time of year. Any business can also face a rat problem. For some businesses though, like those who serve or handle food, a rat infestation can have major health and safety implications. Rodents can also present a serious fire risk to a company by gnawing through cables.
Call in the professionals
If you are in any doubt as to whether you have a rodent problem, call in the professionals. Don’t give the pests a chance to breed and become a major infestation.
Only a professional rodent control programme can provide reassuring protection from the risk of rats and mice on your premises. With our many years of experience we have an in-depth knowledge of rats and mice and how to deal with them.
If you think you have a rodent infestation please call Abate Pest Management now on 0800 980 9609 speak to our experts about our fast, effective rodent control treatments. You can also visit our website for more information.